POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : eyes : Re: I know....... [Re: eyes] Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I know....... [Re: eyes]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 29 Dec 2003 00:50:06
Message: <3fefc08e@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> news:3FE### [at] hotmailcom...
>
>>Subsurface Scattering via media! Those kind of effects could be achieved
>>with media sss.
>

> The problem is that using media sss on an mesh having an internal structure
> often gives ugly results due to the shadows cast by these structures. The
> face of a Poser model such as this one contains a lot of these structures
> (nose, eyes, mouth), so the sss only works OK on the simpler body parts and
> only when they have enough polys (which caused me a lot of trouble for the
> ISS image last year) :(

Two things.  It seems to me that sub-surface scattering in flesh is a
slightly different issue than in, say, wax.  The wax is translucent and
monochromatic.  The particular look of flesh is more involved, what with
skin pigmentation, skin translucency, and the color(s) of underlaying
tissues, blood vessels and so on.  I heard one commenter observe that
the particular glow if Marilyn Monroe's complexion was due to the fine
fuzz of hair on her face which could "hold" the light.

Gilles, you did some early experiments with Povman and skin shaders.
Can you tell us in what way it fell short for you?  I mean to give it
another try if I can dig up the patch, but I would be interested in what
your thoughts are on it.

-Jim